Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Shiny new music

A quick natter to announce my excitement over the upcoming release from the Codeine Velvet Club. Strangely enough, it's another male-female vocal team, but it's a very different feel from the Paper Raincoat. It's a collaboration between Jon Fratelli (who happens to be the lead singer of a certain band I love) and Lou Hickey, who I hadn't heard of previously but she's got some great pipes. In Jon's e-mail that got sent 'round to people on the Fratellis' mailing list, he described it as "kitchen-sink music," and that's as good a description as any. Part of me likes musicians who favor a stripped-down acoustic sound, but another part of me really loves bands that go completely over the top and throw in everything but the kitchen sink (small wonder that I also love Within Temptation). Judging from the preview songs, these guys definitely belong in the second category. I'm such a sucker for a great horn section...

Check 'em out.

No comments: