Sunday, August 16, 2009

Tori at Tower

Last night I went to see Tori Amos perform at the Tower Theatre. My dislike of the latest album notwithstanding, she still puts on one hell of a show. My impressions, somewhat jumbled:

-Choirgirl got a lot of love this time around with three songs ("Black-Dove," "Hotel," and "Northern Lad"), which made me happy as it's still my favorite album of hers.
-Neat idea to follow up "Northern Lad" with "Cars and Guitars." Admittedly I was never over the moon about the latter, but it's a cute lyrical tie-in to go from "guess you go too far when pianos try to be guitars" to "but it never was the cars and guitars that came between us."
-I discovered hearing "Starling" live that I actually like it. Who ever would have guessed?
-The biggest surprise of the night was easily "Strong Black Vine." How she managed to turn an unimpressive three-minute song into a blazing eight-minute epic is beyond me.

Finally, a small note to the opening act, One Eskimo:

I liked you guys. You've got a nice mellow sound and the trumpet is pretty cool. However, you may want to rethink your set list. When you're the opening band and your song prominently features the lyric "can I have your attention pleeeeeease," especially when that line is voiced in falsetto, it just makes me giggle.

No comments: