Sunday, November 29, 2009

Inspiration post: Within Temptation

All right, so lately things have been getting a bit stale for me music-wise, so every day this week I'm going to post a video of a musical performance that inspires me. Today's video is Mother Earth by Within Temptation, from the Black Symphony DVD.



Why this band? Within Temptation is one of the few bands that I picked up in high school and continued to stick with over time, simply because they do what they do really well. They consistently produce great symphonic metal and they also sound good live. The Heart of Everything, their most recent studio album, is (at least in my view) a return to form for them. On The Silent Force they didn't sound quite like themselves--I think maybe because they were trying to reach a wider audience. But The Heart of Everything sounds to me like Mother Earth would have if they'd had the kind of production capabilities then that they do now. Also, Sharon den Adel is one of my favorite frontwomen ever. Period. She's beautiful, sweet, funny and has an incredible voice.

Why this performance? Really, pretty much everything from this show is great, but I have a soft spot for this song. It's the first I ever heard from them, and finally being able to hear it with a live orchestra and choir is spectacular. Definitely beats the old keyboard effects and one-guy-layered-to-sound-choral on the album version. Sharon's voice is in fine form as usual, and I love the way she punches into those high notes on the chorus. (Also, fire. Oooh.)

No comments: